International Studies & Programs

Home > Visa and Immigration > Visa and Immigration Overview

Visa and Immigration Overview

The Office for International Students and Scholars (OISS) advises MSU’s international students, scholars, faculty and staff and their families on maintaining non-immigrant status in the United States. We serve:

F-1 students and their F-2 dependents
J-1 students and their J-2 dependents
J-1 scholars and their J-2 dependents
H-1B employees and their H-4 dependents

Maintaining Immigration Status side-by-side.jpgImmigration Alerts

Get the latest information on U.S. immigration policies and procedures. OISS constantly monitors changes in immigration regulations and policies affecting international students and scholars.

Students, Scholars, & H-1B Employees side-by-side.jpgStudents, Scholars, and H-1B Employees

Information about admission to MSU, immigration documents, maintaining immigration status, working in the U.S., changing status, transferring in and out of MSU, travel and visas, returning to MSU in F-1 status, family and dependents & more.

College of Engineering side-by-side.JPGMSU Departments

Learn how to invite international faculty, staff, and students to work or conduct research in your department including J-1 scholars, H-1B employees, TN, O-1 & E-3, sponsoring permanent residency, and hiring current students and J-2 dependents. 

employers & thrid-party hosts side-by-side.jpgEmployers and J-1 Third Party Hosts

Learn more about work authorization options for international students in the U.S. including Optional Practical Training, Curricular Practical Training, and Academic Training. Discover the benefits of hiring MSU international students!