International Studies & Programs

Home > Life at MSU > Life on Campus > Student Housing and Dining

Student Housing and Dining

On-Campus Housing

Students admitted to MSU are eligible to live in university residence halls or university apartments. To apply for housing at MSU, you must submit the appropriate application along with the application fee. Housing and food service information can be found at MSU Live On.

All freshman students must live on campus during their first year at MSU, and many decide to do so for two years or more. After you have submitted your Advanced Enrollment Deposit (AED), you will complete your housing contract and select your preferences and meal plan. To request a roommate, follow the directions on the housing contract. 

Living on-campus has many advantages including:

  • Close to classes
  • Easy access to frequent campus bus routes
  • Meal plans
  • Advising and other services in your MSU Neighborhood
  • Billing directly to your student account 
  • Utilities like gas, electric, water, recycling, trash are included in the fee
  • No maintenance like shoveling snow or mowing grass


Between Semester Housing

International students may decide to live in residence halls that offer Between Semester Housing and Dining for an additional cost, typically between $350 - $400. Learn which halls offer Between Semester Housing and Dining on the MSU Live On website. Many students sign up to live in a hall that offers Between Semester Housing but then decide to travel around the U.S., go to Chicago, or visit friends in other cities during winter break. Traveling with friends and sharing hotel rooms or staying in hostels can be very inexpensive. If you would rather live in a hall that does not offer Between Semester Housing there are many ways you can spend winter break off-campus. Check out Hostelworld or Hosteling International to see where you can go!

Off-Campus Housing

Students who want to live off-campus have many choices. For more information about living in East Lansing and the surrounding area, visit the MSU Off-Campus Housing website. 

Hotels in the East Lansing Area

The MSU Travel Office website has a list of hotels in the area, including distance from campus, and cost. 

OISS has created a map of hotels that are close to campus, Hotels in the East Lansing Area (PDF).

Summer Storage

If you need to store your belongings over the summer, we recommend that you use Two Men and A Truck storage and delivery service. MSU has a contract with Two Men and A Truck in order to make the shipping and move-in process easier for students. 

To arrange for storage and delivery of your belongings, go to the Two Men and A Truck student storage website.

  1. Under "Personalize your storage plan" select "Michigan State University" and select the plan you prefer.
  2. Press "Send Request."
  3. Two Men and A Truck will email you to get more information about your shipping and delivery needs, finalize the cost, and receive payment from you.

On-campus dining - Eat At State

Students can use their dining plan at more than 30 places on campus from full-service dining halls to express cafes and food trucks.

Each dining facility offers a variety of healthy food options, including menu items to support dietary restrictions. Students with food allergies or intolerances and those who follow a special diet have resources and information to help make safe choices while still having a great dining experience. Students needing further support can contact Culinary Services for accommodation.

See more dining information at

Off-campus dining

The City of East Lansing and Greater Lansing area has many restaurants that offer different types of food!

Check out the Greater Lansing Convention and Visitors Bureau for local restaurant options.