International Studies & Programs

Home > Life at MSU > Life in the U.S. > Social Security Number

Social Security Number

The U.S. social security number is required in order to be paid for work in the United States. If you will work for MSU, the university will need your social security number in order to pay you. Check with your hiring department to find out if you can start working while applying for a social security number. 

Who Can Apply:

  • F-1 with On-Campus Employment
  • F-1 with Curricular Practical Training authorization
  • F-1 with Optional Practical Training authorization
  • J-1 Students & Scholars
  • J-2 Dependents with Employment Authorization Document

While you will not need to show your social security card very often, you will need to memorize your number. Once you have your social security card, do not carry your card with you. Keep it in a safe place with your other important papers.

Learn more about the history and current use of the social security number in the United States